-John Martin-Will the lack of creationism emphasis lead to churches being closed? At least one critic of creationism thinks so.
Each week I spend some time reading comments not only from my writings but also those critical of Creationists. Sometimes I learn to crystallize my thinking on the subject of biblical creationism when I hear objective criticism. The challenge is sifting through mountains of high emotional anger toward Creationism.
Today’s blog I decided to quote extensively from a critique of creationism, because they make a better reason for creationism relating to politics then I could come up with. Below is a response posted by a person named Kitty on December 18, 2008 10:57 AM. Blog Post #225. from
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/12/here_we_go_again_i_get_more_em.php
The comment reminds us of the state of Great Britain’s once recognized Christian presence. Taking a tour down the streets of England and Scotland show beautiful architectural structures built to house Christian assemblies. If one were to look closer, there is no longer a Christian presence in many of these but they are museums, restaurants and Muslim mosques.
Keri
One of the common threads among creationists, other than the fact that they're creationists, seems to be a fear of socialism and communism. I guess I can understand this fear of communism (it hasn't exactly worked out to be pleasant for the people wherever it's been tried), but what on earth is the problem with socialism? They toss it around like a bogeyman, but it doesn't seem to be anything bad to me. Maybe I just need to go back to school and study political science or something.
Where socialism takes hold in a community religion often fades away. The support system offered by the church is replaced by the support systems offered by the socialist society. This was particularly observed in coal mining communities in the UK in the 20th century when the Labour Party began to gain power. It culminated in the formation of the Welfare State.
Many mining communities switched allegiance from church, often Methodist or Baptist, to Union run social clubs which provided for families in distress without requiring participants to abide by the 'Thou shalt not' rules of the Chapel.
If the local club will take care of you without telling you how to run your sex life or curb your alcohol intake , indeed if it provides cheap drink, good entertainment, a free library, and a youth club the pews will empty quickly and churches will close.
While I do not agree with all the tenants of creationist groups, associations etc. I still have to thank God for creationism emphasis in North America. Creationism reminds Americans that our roots are indeed in the Bible. If we compromise on the special creation message found in Genesis then we will also compromise on the authenticity of Jesus Christ himself. Encourage your church to host a Creationism seminar today.
No comments:
Post a Comment