Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bill Maher's Challenge

I was interested in Denyse O'Leary's article "Imagine no Religulous" from /mensnewsdaily.com, December 13, 2008. He critiques Bill Maher's mockery of Christianity including creationism. While O'Leary was kinder to Maher's ridiculous ridicule, he did point out Maher's arrogance. There are larger names who have criticized Maher including Dinesh D'Souza. With interest I read:
"D’Souza, incidentally has offered to debate Maher, just as he has debated other famous atheists such as Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett. If Maher accepts (so far he hasn’t), he had better do some homework. D’Souza, author of What’s So Great About Christianity?, is one of the sharpest young policy analysts in the United States today."

I was privileged to see a debate between D'Souza and Christopher Hitchens in St. Louis on September 10, 2008 at Powell Symphany Hall. (Click here for D'Souza's website with a video debate.) There were probably at least 1,000 people present and there was much energy between the Atheist Hitchens and Catholic Christian D'Souza. As with all atheist I too did not not believe in the god that Hitchens was dismissing. D'souza did a great job in pointing to the design of creation and intrinsic desire for humans to seek a creator. The impression that I received in the debate was that D'Souza follows a theistic evolution model at least on an intelligent design scale.

No comments: