Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Response to Congressman Mark Soulder’s Creationist Comments

Souder's top triumph: Saving VA hospital. Sylvia A. Smith, Washington editor.WASHINGTON. Published: December 27, 2008 3:00 a.m. – Rep. Mark Souder, R-3rd, has been northeast Indiana’s representative in Congress since before Starbucks opened its first overseas shop.

Smith: You appeared on the big screen this year. What was that experience like?

Soulder: The biggest single moment was (that) the movie “Expelled” came out on intelligent design. (The documentary about intelligent design – also called creationism – hosted by Ben Stein describes how some educational professionals have been blacklisted from universities and journals because they disagree with the theory of evolution.)

Critics of ID have spoken of ID being the Trojan horse of creationism. Soulder’s comment about ID being called creationism is not reflective of ID discussion. If ID scientists were true biblical creationists then they would eliminate all talk except God of the Bible being the creator. As a Christian I think they almost blaspheme God by suggesting that the intelligent designer might be dead, be an space alien or be many such beings.

Michael Behe is probably the most famous ID scientists and he even suggests that Darwin’s idea of common decent may have taken place. He even suggests that Darwinian evolution did take place over billions of years but this cannot account for apparent design within some biological organisms.

Smith: Was it the highlight of your year?

Soulder: I personally believe that there is no issue more important to our society than intelligent design. I believe that if there wasn’t a purpose in designing you – regardless of who you view the designer as being – then, from my perspective, you can’t be fallen from that design. If you can’t be fallen from that design, there’s no point to evangelism.

I do not know what Soulder was trying to say here. I will make a few points from his rambling. ID scientists do not ascertain why a God would allow suffering, and disease. Most creationist would point to the sin of Adam and Eve in the Garden as the initial catalyst of human suffering.

Soulder: As an evangelical Christian, I believe the premise of a fall being at the core of reforming lives. I believe the concept of grace and forgiveness comes from having fallen from something.

....Now, how that occurred – whether you believe in the young earth theory, gradual evolution, or whatever – is disputed. Those become religious. But whether there was a fundamental designer who developed a complex DNA molecular structure is critical. Since I view that as the most important thing in the world, yes, being in a movie that advanced that cause was the personal highlight of the year.

Evolutionists would certainly dispute the comment of Expelled being an advanced movie. It is interesting that Soulder opened the door for complete theistic evolution to be a possibility. ID critic Ken Miller has spoken of his faith as being a theist. Miller would argue against the term theistic evolution and argue for a designer of universal laws that would make Darwinian evolution possible.

No comments: