Why did Ben Stein cancel his graduation speech with the University of Vermont?The Associated Press has reported that Stein canceled his scheduled speech at the University of Vermont over criticisms of the university administration to have him.
UVM President Daniel Fogel said he chose Stein based on the warm response to a lecture he gave on campus last spring. Fogel said, however, he was deluged with e-mail messages from people offended by Stein's views of science.I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Ben Stein knew that when he took on the orthodox scientific community through Expelled that criticism would come. What other reasons are there for Stein's reluctance to speak for $7,500.
When told about the criticism, Stein — who was to be paid $7,500 — backed out of the May 17 commencement, Fogel said.
"I did not ask him not to come," he said. "I was not going to let him be blind-sided by controversy."
No comments:
Post a Comment